Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse only certain components of .txt file to Excel

Chris_Waspe
7 - Meteor

Hi

I am very new to Alteryx and have a side project I am working on. I have a single .pdf file with multiple Tax invoices. I have parsed that file to a txt doc. I am trying and completely failing at extracting only the required information from that document. All that is required from the doc is the Cell Number, Invoice Number, the billed items for each invoice and the amount of those items. The number of billed items varies for each invoice. I have attached a small section of the txt doc and the desired excel output. If anyone could help with this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Perhaps there's a more elegant way, but here's my solution

cellular.png

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It looks like the 3 amounts on the itemised lines are Net VAT and Gross, but you've only asked for Net. Let me know if you want the other 2 as well.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Chris_Waspe 

@DavidP 's solution looks great. Another approach is to start by filtering out only the pieces you need, and then creating one row with all of those pieces by using a Summarize tool. From there, a few RegEx parses (one to parse out the cellular and invoice numbers, one to parse multiple billed items into rows, and the final one to parse out the billed items into columns), and a record ID tool to add unique identifiers per row.

Give it a whirl, and let me know if it works for you. I parsed into billed and VAT, in case you needed both. If you only need the amount without the VAT, then modify the Regular Expression in the last RegEx tool to be (.*?)\s(\d+\.\d+)

image.png

Chris_Waspe
7 - Meteor

Thank  you very much for the assistance. Just required a tiny bit of tweaking but did exactly what was required. Don't need the other two amounts but can get there from what you provided. Thanks again

berty
8 - Asteroid

I'm new to this, I have something similar which i'm trying to figure out, in the multirow formula you are using this as key record identifier,

if [Field_1]='","Copy Tax Invoice' then [Row-1:Invoice ID]+1 else [Row-1:Invoice ID] endif

how would I create an identifier if first line of record only had "Customer.....:x" ( X is the difference customer name)

where the word customer appeared, it would be my a record ID but not sure how I'd create something to validate each "Customer.....:x" to assign as record id

sample:

CUSTOMER:CALL 2 SEE
CUSTOMER:0124874                                 Yodamo Ltd.      Account number:    3e56gh
                                    Company Registration No.
 CALL 2 SEE                                                        Ref number:   0674345
                                               20154/00765
PO BOX 1000               ID Registration No. 4014563DF1        Invoice number: xxdetgdwe
-                                                                       Invoice date: Jan 1, 2020
                                                                 Your  registration
COLUMBIA                                         Registered Office                        161511

CUSTOMER:JETSKIESE
CUSTOMER:0124875                                 Yodamo Ltd.      Account number:    3e5448gh
                                    Company Registration No.
 JETSKIESE                                                        Ref number:   0745342
                                               1545412/0007
PO BOX 1000               ID Registration No. 4014G345        Invoice number: xx4567Ge
-                                                                       Invoice date: Jan 1, 2020
                                                                 Your  registration
COLUMBIA                                         Registered Office                        954287

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @berty

I would do something like this:

DavidP_0-1588806004396.png

berty
8 - Asteroid

thanks David, that helps, i'm also looking at a field "DID...…:" if i apply the same filter to just "DID" it works fine, but if i try to match 'DID...…:' then it wont work - do i need to apply something different to the '...…:' characters?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@berty, probably best to start a new post on this.

Please tag me in the post and I can take a look.

In the new post, please provide  a bit more detail on your last question.

Labels