Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Parse by Field to Append Access Tables from Alteryx

JKirstine
6 - Meteoroid

Ok, if I can make this work, this takes nearly 100 import runs from excel into Access and turns it into a button click process....fingers crossed.

Background: I have an excel sheet that Alteryx grabs, does a little transformation work, and then saves to Excel, parsed out into tabs based on a field in the data. I.e., the original excel contains a big list of records with a field called 'analyst' and the output is an Excel where each analyst gets there own tab. Then, I load each tab into the final Access Db, appending to each table by each Analyst tab through a Save Import. It works, but is zero fun and, of course, it's a matter of time before that process bites me.

So, I want to use the same parsing (by Analyst) to append to the almost 100 Analyst tables in the Access database and cut out the middle man.  

I researched and have, what I think, is close to a solution, but get the following error:

Error: Output Data (9): Error opening query: Microsoft Access Database Engine: '' is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that it is not too long.\3125 = -537199594

JKirstine_0-1660315231075.png

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks!

Jim

2 REPLIES 2
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

@JKirstine when configuring the output tool, have you defined a table name to write to in you access db?

JKirstine
6 - Meteoroid

I started looking around for possible places there might be a character issue in the column headers. On a whim, I changed one up that looked suspect. Viola! It worked! I do have some filtering to get right as there are other analysts in the raw data that are not listed (nor needed) in the final Access tables. Since Alteryx doesn't see their name as a table name, it will shut down at that point. But, it now appends correctly to the tables up to that point. Once I get the errant analysts values filtered out, I think the process sis golden.

Labels