Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse Tool?

JulesFontaine
6 - Meteoroid

Let me start by saying I'm brand new to Alteryx. I have a column of data that is a series of numbers. The last five digits represent a separate piece of data which I want to show in a separate column. I thought the 'text to column' tool would have been perfect, but it requires a delimiter which I cannot provide since there is not a space or any other symbol between the numbers. How do I grab the last five digits and put it in its own column? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @JulesFontaine 

You can change the datatype of the column to string (if it is not already) use this formula RIGHT([Column], 5). Take a look at the attached workflow.

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1670452496612.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@JulesFontaine One way of doing this with the regex replace function

binuacs_0-1670454678934.png

JulesFontaine
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @binuacs! I couldn't get this one to work like it does in the workflow you attached. It gives me a duplicate copy of the data that I am trying to pull the last five characters from - not the last 5 characters - see below.

JulesFontaine_0-1670535208163.png

JulesFontaine
6 - Meteoroid

This worked perfectly! Thank you!! I love how there are multiple ways of getting to the answer using this tool.

JulesFontaine
6 - Meteoroid

@Felipe_Ribeir0, that worked perfectly - thank you!!

Labels