Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse Tool?

JulesFontaine
6 - Meteoroid

Let me start by saying I'm brand new to Alteryx. I have a column of data that is a series of numbers. The last five digits represent a separate piece of data which I want to show in a separate column. I thought the 'text to column' tool would have been perfect, but it requires a delimiter which I cannot provide since there is not a space or any other symbol between the numbers. How do I grab the last five digits and put it in its own column? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @JulesFontaine 

You can change the datatype of the column to string (if it is not already) use this formula RIGHT([Column], 5). Take a look at the attached workflow.

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1670452496612.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@JulesFontaine One way of doing this with the regex replace function

binuacs_0-1670454678934.png

JulesFontaine
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @binuacs! I couldn't get this one to work like it does in the workflow you attached. It gives me a duplicate copy of the data that I am trying to pull the last five characters from - not the last 5 characters - see below.

JulesFontaine_0-1670535208163.png

JulesFontaine
6 - Meteoroid

This worked perfectly! Thank you!! I love how there are multiple ways of getting to the answer using this tool.

JulesFontaine
6 - Meteoroid

@Felipe_Ribeir0, that worked perfectly - thank you!!

Labels