Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse Survey data that is Concatenated Display in Colum / Row format

LAS1
7 - Meteor

Working on a form that has a form ID for each unique form in row format, and all of the data is concinnated into one cell. I want to break out all the questions into Row Header = Question and Cell value = Answer.  Some answers can be blank. 

Data is coming from AWS

I have attached the input and the output I desire 

7 REPLIES 7
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Nice little parsing problem there.

Likely to be many ways to achieve it but this is how I set about solving it:

Screenshot 2021-11-23 143450.jpg

I have annotated the tools, let me know if there are any steps you are unclear on 🙂

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @LAS1,

Nothing really to add here, I just wanted to have a go at it too!

My solution -

Ben_H_0-1637682024926.png

Ben_H_1-1637682045897.png

Regards,

Ben

LAS1
7 - Meteor

Just what I was looking for. I will admit, I have struggled with this longer than I’m willing to admit!

LAS1
7 - Meteor

Different way than above, but just what I was looking for!

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Sometimes you can just get stuck on a problem and can't think around it. Happens to us all.

Glad we were able to help!

LAS1
7 - Meteor

Hey Joe, 

Follow up question for you. I actually have ~ 100 rows of data (hey have unique IDs or we can make them), so when I run the workflow it makes thousands of columns. Is there a way to force the query to move to a new row once the data is finished being parsed? 

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @LAS1,

You can do it by adding a record ID and using that to cross tab.

See attached example (I just duplicated the one input row to try it out)

Regards,

Ben

Labels