Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse Out Data

Brian_H
7 - Meteor

Hello, I am trying to find a way to parse out data when the order the data is displayed varies in the column. Please see the attached file. The data I need to parse out of the example is the 8 digit numerical data always starting with 1. The 8 digits may not always be in the same location within the column but they are in there somewhere. Is there a way to complete this that I am missing?

Thanks you!

3 REPLIES 3
tcroberts
12 - Quasar

Is this always the *ONLY* 8-digit sequence in the column?

If this is the case, you could set a RegEx tool up, configured to "Parse" and pass the following expression:

.*(\d{8}).*

This should be able to parse out the sequence you're looking for.

Let me know if this helps,

Cheers!

ivoller
12 - Quasar

@tcrobertssolution is great. If it is possible that there will be more than 1 8 digit string in the data, another way to achieve the same result with less ambiguity may be to use a formula tool with something like

REGEX_Replace([Example], "^.*(\b1\d{7}\b).*$", "$1")

This regex will look at the whole input string and extract an 8 digit string starting with 1 wholly contained within word boundaries.

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is the sample workflow for your case.  Hope this is helpful. 

WorkflowWorkflowResultsResults

Labels