Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse Name, Address Line 1, City, State and Zip

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

Hello friends, 

My dataset has the name of the store, address line 1, City, State, and 5-digit Zip code, all in one cell of Excel. Picture below. I have also attached the Excel file. Essentially I would like to have each of these in a separate column. I am fairly new to Alteryx and am struggling to figure out how I can achieve my goal. Any kind of help is much appreciated. Thank you so much! 

itssumanb_0-1605883495082.png

8 REPLIES 8
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @itssumanb 

Here is a workflow for the task.

You parse tool with below config:

atcodedog05_0-1605884253743.png

(.*)\s(\w*),\s(\w*)\s(\w*)

Output:

atcodedog05_1-1605884280147.png

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@atcodedog05 I think you're missing Address Line 1. And City is sometimes missing the first word.

Here's my best attempt.. It's a little clumsy because it's difficult separating the address line 1 from the city.

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

Hi

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

Hi Philip! 

This is perfect. Anything I need to be careful of as my input data contents may change every time I run my workflow? Thank you so much again! 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

@itssumanb 

Replay back on this post tagging @PhilipMannering he will be able to help you help you out if you face any more issues on this 🙂

Its free text, little risky 😉

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @PhilipMannering 

I just saw your regex. manh! its intense 😅

Amazing work 😎

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 @PhilipMannering  thank you both! 

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @itssumanb 

There's a lot of nuance/edge cases to parsing addresses. The string parsing method @atcodedog05 and @PhilipMannering posted is quick and effective for these cases, but may not always provide the desired result depending on how the inputs vary. The best strategy is to use tools specifically for parsing addresses that references address databases like CASS (Coding Accuracy Support System). 

Alteryx has the Parse Address tool: 

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/parse-address-tool

This tool takes the single input field, compares those components using CASS, and outputs the individual fields you desire. The standardized field output can then be used for geocoding or mail circulation. The drawback is that access to this tool requires the purchase of the location insights data from Alteryx. 

The strategy I typically recommend is to use the Google Geocoder API to return standardized address fields and latitude/longitude information. I recommend the Google Geocoder macro built by @jdunkerley79:
https://gallery.alteryx.com/?fbclid=IwAR0SmVVRAAZf-YZr_LyDSzsYYZDw0aaDkF3PH1vCVUVPtxZf0_NVNCUGvUM#!a... 

You'll need a Google API to use this tool, which has limited free use but might be a good idea to spend money on if you plan to do this frequently in your business.

https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing 

20201120-GoogleGeocoder.JPG

Labels