Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Parse Error When Connecting to XLSX File

Chris_
6 - Meteoroid

I have a MS Excel xlsx file I'm trying to bring into Alteryx and whenever I connect to it I get the following error:

"Corrupt File: XML parse failure - cell has no column definition"

However, I have no issues opening this file in MS Excel or other ETL toolsets. 

The file has about 15 tabs, no special characters in worksheet or workbook names, and no merged columns/rows. 

This file is an auto-export from a source system and the only format that is available is xlsx.

Any thoughts would be very helpful.

23 REPLIES 23
Brsmoreira
5 - Atom

The only way that I found to fix this problem, was copying the data and pasting in another tab. I did it and worked perfectly. The worst part is the huge manual process.

AMalkin
6 - Meteoroid

I have the same exact issue. The Excel file I'm using is being generated by another RPA tool. The only solution we found was to literally open the Excel file, and re-save over the existing file. Only then it works, and I have no idea why. 

himantkhurana
5 - Atom

The error mentioned occurs sometimes when the excel sheet is protected.Please make sure the excel you are using is not protected. You can modify the excel and unprotect it.

Inactive User
Not applicable

I have the same issue. I have extracted .xlsx file from Power BI which published in web. When I tried to analysed the data I am experiencing this issue. 

crisantopaet1_0-1601369249642.png

Inactive User
Not applicable

The solution that worked for me is by deleting the first two rows of the file. 

I've experienced the same error with an Excel file which was exported as a summary from a "table" visual from a report shared on the Power BI service.  I don't think deleting the first 2 rows is strictly necessary - for me I just had to open the file, enable editing, and re-save the file with no other changes made.  I still have the Alteryx Input tool set to start reading on row 3, and it works.  So I think its just the simple act of opening and saving the file that somehow resolves the issue.

Nevertheless its quite annoying, as it adds a manual step to a process where I'm collecting multiple such exports as input.

amadra
8 - Asteroid

I have the exact same issue.

Root cause -> @david_leonardi_dup_437  as you mentioned, downloading the data directly from Power BI dashboard online will cause the issue.
Manual fix -> Open the file and just save it without making any changes. Import the data in Alteryx from line 3 and it will work.

Would be great if someone could come up with an automated fix.

amadra
8 - Asteroid

**Update**

I found the issue and a solution.
Issue -> Power BI server automatically downloads the excel in legacy format.
Solution -> Import the Power BI export in Excel legacy format within the input tool.

In case you don't see the excel format, then you may need to enable the Microsoft excel legacy format.

The legacy format will allow you to import the file. You may need to import the file from line 3 (in case you have filters applied on Power BI export - which take up the first two lines).

dleonardi
5 - Atom

Thanks @amadra I will try this out the next time I'm using something exported from Power BI.  But I do see the Excel Legacy format in the Input tool and makes sense this should work.  Just opening and saving the file must have been converting it to a regular .xlsx file instead of legacy I suppose.

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi,@dleonardi @amadra 

If you always get *.xls from PowerBI Server or other system, maybe you can use script run event before run to convent or save-as input's xls file.

Labels