Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse Error Using Customer Filter

ldean
8 - Asteroid

Dear Alteryx Community,

I am new to Alteryx and am trying to use the custom filter to get alteryx to choose data where the record id equals Customer_id or Customer_Postcode or Store_id or Annual_visits or Avg_Spend_GBP.

The parse error is at character 11 which is the first equals sign. The error says "Invalid Type in Operator ==."  I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Lisa

21 REPLIES 21
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ldean  

It might be datatype mismatch issue.

I have a question are you trying to compare 2 columns RecordID and CustomerID

or

Are you trying to compare column RecordID has value CustomerID

If you are trying to compare 2 columns it should be

[RecordID]=[Customer_id]

compare whether  [RecordID] is "Customer_id"

Tostring([RecordID])="Customer_id"

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @ldean 

This is most common when you are trying to compare a numeric field with a string. Given that your trying to compare Record ID with "compare ID" (a string). Then i suspect that your recordID is a numeric field (or not a string field). 

Apply a select before the filter, and make sure that the recordID field is a string type.

Bulien
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@ldean ,

I'm explicitly making everything a string.  The fields all need to be either strings or numeric data types. 

tostring([record id]) IN (tostring([Customer_id]),tostring([Customer_Postcode]), tostring( [Store_id]), tostring( [Annual_visits]), tostring([Avg_Spend_GBP]))

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
ldean
8 - Asteroid

I have attached a sample of the data. I want it to read the data below the each of the record ids (Customer_id etc).

Does this help?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ldean 

Can you provide the expected output for this data. We will be able to help you better.

Data looks like this

atcodedog05_0-1603816991159.png

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @ldean 

This seems to work fine with the data you've attached, are you sure [Record_ID] is the correct column you want to be checking against?

TheOC_0-1603817029664.png

Workflow attached

Bulien
ldean
8 - Asteroid

I just took a course in Alteryx for Beginners. We have been given an assignment to building a workflow etc. Part of the workflow contains this data which is in a spreadsheet with the tab name Customer Data 1.

All the directions say is the following: HINT CHOOSE ROWS CONTAINING DATA BASED ON RECORDID IN 2,4,6,8,10.  I thought the only way to do this was to write it [RecordID]= "Customer_id" or etc. 

It's all I have.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ldean 

I think the hint is trying to say.

[RecordID] in (2,4,6,8,10)

Can you share the workflow.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @ldean 

I think the aim of the task is to find a way to specify these rows.

Here is an elegant way, just by checking for rows that contain an underscore:

TheOC_0-1603817618032.png

attached is a workflow

Bulien
Labels