Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Parse Date Time Tool -- can it specify AM/PM ?

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

HI,

Can I have the tool to know whether the date/time read in is either AM or PM?

AM or PM designation?AM or PM designation?

9 REPLIES 9
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Archaeopteryx

Do you really have to use the DateTime tool?

Using the DateTimeParse function, you can specify AM/PM with the "%X" parameter.

Cheers,

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Hi

and thank you for the reply. Can you elaborate? 'How' to use the %X parameter? I have Particle status. 

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Example: String date as 05/12/2018 01:45 AM

DateTimeParse([Field1],"%d/%m/%y %I:%M %p")

%I for hours to 00 to 12, %M for minutes and %p to AM/PM.

You can have a list of parameters here in this link: https://help.alteryx.com/9.5/Reference/DateTimeFunctions.htm

Cheers,

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Here are screen shots of what I have. I'm not sure where I'd provide your function. I tried it with [Received 2],but [Received 2] was null. I only tried using the part of the function that is associated with the time, "%I:%M: %p" I'm assuming that first alpha is "I" as in Indigo? I set up the formula like this: DateTimeParse([Received 2],"%I:%M: %p")

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Archaeopteryx

Not so sure what you're trying to do, but to Parse the field, you need a date. You can't just use time itself. You can use either a date, or a date/time format.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, could you be more specific?

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Thank you for your time and help. Here is what I did. See Screen shot. I cannot figure out how to add a literal "AM" or "PM" to the time, so, we infer it with military time. See the formula. 

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

hi @Thableaus -

your logic worked superbly !!!

Thank you ,md

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Hello there @Archaeopteryx and @Thableaus 

Touching again on this subject, here is a sample of how to parse date time coming in 12 hour format with the AM/PM specifier; please note that when the specifier is on PM, it adds 12 hours to the parsed date time.

I guess that the key to it is to use the %I and %P specifiers on the format side of the formula's parameters.

Spoiler
2019-08-26_15-37-37.jpg
RajatRehria
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Thableaus how can i convert this date 05/22/2023 14:16:14 into 05/22/2023 02:16:14 PM using DateTimeParse formula?

Labels