Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse Column Between Tokens

aalqinneh
5 - Atom

Hello,

I'm extremley new to Alteryx and just getting a feel for the product via a demo, have a very simple usecase that took me minutes to perform on IBMs QualityStage but not too sure how to do it here.

I have a column with a long string, I'm trying to extract some information that's in the middle but not sure how I can do that without adding multiple "Text to Column" operators, there has to be a simpler way. Thanks in advance. 

i..e /214SGY/=GOLD=/d2123

Need to extract "GOLD" to another column.

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Aaliqinneh,

I have attached a workflow which uses both Text To Columns as one method and RegEx as another. 

I have included brief description of the processes inside of the workflow. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Client Services Support Engineer

aalqinneh
5 - Atom

RegEx is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

aalqinneh
5 - Atom

Hey Jordan,

Thank you for introducing me to the reg operator. Big ask but I'm hoping you can help me with another expression, I tried it myself but no luck.

The column is an email address: firstname.lastname@company.com (i.e. John.Crate@gmail.com)

What I'm looking for is two fields, one with name and one with company ("@" and ".com") dropped.

Look forward to hearing back. Thank you!

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Aaqinneh,

I have attached another workflow. 

There are useful RegEx videos here on our resources page as well. 

If you also right click on the RegEx tool icon and open example. This will give you example workflows with syntax of how to achieve various use cases. 

regex pic.png

Best,

Jordan Barker

Client Services 

aalqinneh
5 - Atom

Thanks for the link to the resource page Jordan! I have quite a bit of homework tonight Smiley Happy

Regards,

aalqinneh

Labels