Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse Attributes with Proper Output Using Commas and 'And'

TR
8 - Asteroid

Using the table below my goal is to have a properly formatted string I can use for reporting purposes. I would filter based on whether the column attributes included "Improve" and concatenate them. However, I'm not too sure how to go about formatting the Result properly by removing additional "Improve"'s and using commas and the word 'and' when appropriate. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

IDProdDessertProdSuppliesProdFoodProdFoodSvcResult
1Improve Dessert SalesOk Supplies SalesHigh Food SalesOk Food Services SalesImprove Dessert Sales
2Ok Dessert SalesOk Supplies SalesImprove Food SalesOk Food Services SalesImprove Food Sales
3Ok Dessert SalesOk Supplies SalesOk Food SalesOk Food Services Sales 
4Ok Dessert SalesOk Supplies SalesImprove Food SalesImprove Food Services SalesImprove Food Sales and Services Sales
5Improve Dessert SalesImprove Supplies SalesOk Food SalesImprove Food Services SalesImprove Dessert Sales, Supplies Sales and Food Services Sales
6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

My iPhone Suggestions:

1. TRANSPOSE - key is ID, data is all fields
  2. FILTER - contains([value],"improve")
  3. SUMMARIZE - groupby ID concatenate value and set delimiter to " & "
  4. FORMULA - 
    ReverseString(Replacefirst(Reversestring(value),"&","dna"))
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

More mobile phone thoughts: if we had a Formula PlugIn "ConcatenateIfContains", that would allow this to be one formula tool.

TR
8 - Asteroid

That is so awesomely close and by iPhone, I wish I could give 2 stars! I tweaked it a bit to get rid of the extra "Improve"'s and added spacing. Thanks!

ReverseString(ReplaceFirst(ReverseString([Concat_Value]), "evorpmI&", "dna "))
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Thanks for the kudos. Maybe you'll be iphoning in solutions to others soon too. 

If you are at inspire, feel free to say hi. 

Cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
TR
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, I'll be there and will definitely look to say hi! 

I did have to do some extra tweaking on the workflow as I noticed some minor details that just needed a few more formulas and steps to add the records filtered out without "Improve". It's an ugly workflow but it works, I accomplished what I needed and thanks for getting me there.

Best,

Todd

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Formula AddIn sounds a good idea... :)

Labels