Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parallel Block until done

Taki
8 - Asteroid

I was using the Chaosreignswithin Macro for parallel until done which allowed for 2 inputs and 2 output. This fitted my need because I needed to read 2 or 3 excels and writing the results into a single excel. I needed to ensure file 1 is read and process and wrote to the excel before doing file 2 and so on. With the latest version of Alteryx, I can no longer install the Chaosreignswithin Marcro and saw that the block until done in Alteryx only has 1 input and 3 output. Appreciate anyone who can show me if I can use the Alteryx Block until done that will work in my scenario as I am new to Alteryx. A screen shot below of how I am currently using the parallel block.

Taki_0-1633033674436.png

7 REPLIES 7
mst3k
11 - Bolide

i don't use this tool but i'll show you how you can do this without it. it may be how their macro works. this is how i tackle the problem of outputting to multiple sheets in the same excel, when the sheets will have different schemas/datasets.

add a prefix to every field in each input stream, and a recordID field which you know will always be populated. after the block until done, use filters on the recordID to remove rows that don't belong, then use dynamic select to remove fields that don't belong. then remove the prefix from the field names.

mst3k_0-1633068747226.png

mst3k_0-1633068513352.png

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

From @MarqueeCrew  (aka CReW), here's how I suggest that you Parallel without a macro (ours):

essentially, block and append ...

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
StephaneP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @MarqueeCrew 

Maybe I have an issue with my config but I do not hear the sound of your video... Am I missing something ?
I am frustrated 😀

Stéphane Portier
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
thulasir
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

Very useful. I have two sheets both are with different formats. Timely Help. Thankyou.

Sumedha992
6 - Meteoroid

Instead of Union tool I have a JOIN here, which gives 3 output and I need all in 3 sheets in a file. Is there any solution for same.

StephaneP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @Sumedha992 ,

Good news since the last release their is an amazing new tool that is dedicated to manage the order of execution.

Here is a link to a detailled article: Control Containers 

Where you will find this example that fit your need.

Capture.PNG

 Hope it helps

Stéphane Portier
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
Sumedha992
6 - Meteoroid
@StephanP, thanks for the reply. I did not get the chance to go through your article yet. But I will definitely check and revert on this.
Labels