Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

PYTHON TOOL - Graphic Outputs

WSDATA
7 - Meteor

We are feeding data from Alteryx into the Python tool for modeling and evaluation.

There are several libraries that generate fantastic plots/graphics that we would like to output to an anchor and utilize later in the workflow.

We need help understanding how to get charts / plots that are generated within the Python notebook to output back into the workflow.

If that is not possible then is there a workaround where we can save plots / graphics to disk and then reimport them later in the workflow?

Thanks in advance for any help!

5 REPLIES 5
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @WSDATA, currently I believe you can only output data frames from the Python output. The two options I can see are:

One save the charts as PNG or some other format depending on what libraries your using to make the plots.

Or two convert the plots to a HTML format and output them in a data frame to the Alteryx workflow for later use. 

CarliE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @WSDATA,

Take a look at this post, it may be helpful for what you are trying to do!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Science/Plot-Twist-Using-the-Python-Tool-for-Plotting/ba-p/584...

If you found this solved your issue, please mark this as a solution. 

Thanks!

Carli
WSDATA
7 - Meteor

Thank you both for the feedback!  Ended up using a mix of images and HTML exported from Python to local folder.   

TimPowers
6 - Meteoroid

I'm curious about yours (or anyone's) success with doing this.

I followed the method of saving .PNGs to a temp folder then using the Image tool to bring them into the workflow as images. However I'm finding that my x-axis is getting cut off (I have it rotated -30 degrees) and if I render the images the output is complete garbage.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to not have my image be cut off on the bottom? I'm using the [fig, ax = plt.subplots()] paradigm.

python toolpython toolfrom browsefrom browsefrom renderfrom render

TimPowers
6 - Meteoroid

I tried using 'plt.tight_layout()' which helped the axis problem.

The render problem can probably be fixed by using the .PNG directly in a layout.

Labels