Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

PDF/Excel Output to template with multiple sheets & filenames based on grouping

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hello Community,

Hoping to get some additional help and building on another thread with similar title.

Background:

I have 2 large datasets in separate sheets and two additional formatted sheets as the template. The datasets have common groupings.

I've attached sample flow and sample output template that is a representation of my datasets and output requirements.

The workflow should populate the same template for multiple groupings and iterate through populating 2 data streams on 2 different sheets in the same file.

Expected Output:

- Formatted template sheets included in each grouping files.

- Each file contains two sheets with their respective datasets.

- If the grouping does not exist in one or the other dataset, only the header is shown for that sheet

- Output each file both PDF and excel format.

7 REPLIES 7
AmalinaH
Alteryx
Alteryx

I made some adjustments to the configuration of the file output to keep the formatting of the fields. Namely to map by field name, skip field names when appending to existing sheet and defining the range.

AmalinaH_0-1655914501825.png

As for saving as a pdf - I used the Basic Table tool and brought the two Data Sets together under a union. Using a render tool, we can group data into separate reports so that you have a separate PDF for Grouping A, B, C and so on.

Hope this is closer to what you were after?

AmalinaH_1-1655914900712.png

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing the solution, @Amalina. The solution works only for the excel output. Looking for the PDF replica output in multiple pages as well. Maybe there's way to use the dynamic input to convert all the excel output files into PDF?

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Inactive User!

Did @AmalinaH's solution work for you? If so, please mark as accepted.

Thank you!

Inactive User
Not applicable

Waiting on the PDF solution...

AmalinaH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Inactive User, I have included PDF output in this solution. It generates a separate PDF for each group, and each PDF has 2 pages (1 for each sheet).

PDF output can only be generated with the render tool and it will not look perfectly like the result of an excel file saved as a PDF using the excel program.

With some changes to the formatting using the table configuration you can get the formatting to something similar.

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi Amalina, can you kindly screenshot the settings where to select for separate pages for the PDF output. It still showing within the same page.

AmalinaH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Inactive User, this can be done by selecting "Insert Section Breaks Between Records" for the Render tool configuration.

AmalinaH_1-1656344227217.png

Labels