Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Overwrite Sheet Drop Excel Update

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

I am outputting a dataset to excel organised by teams within our organisation. This data then forms the basis of the team dashboards. The data is lists of exceptions that we need people to and deal with and clear.

I have experienced an issue where the data from yesterday has been cleared. I would therefor expect that the output would overwrite yesterday's data to show no outstanding data for that team. It seems that when there was brought forward data which then there is none, the output doesn't clear the brought forward data.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have copied the settings from my output. Is there an obvious setting that I haven't configured correctly?

Thanks

Jonathan

OverwriteSheetDrop.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Sidey1978,

This may be an issue with the version of either Excel and/or Alteryx. I have no issues with 2018.2, and the latest version of Office 365.

To resolve this issue you try amending your output file format to "Microsoft Excel Legacy (*.xlsx)", then overwriting the file.

Let me know if this helps.

M.

Bulien

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey

That seems like it should work, but when I've tried using the legacy version I haven't found much success.

I'll use a manual workaround for no and advise if I find what I'm doing wrong!

Cheers

Paul-Evans
9 - Comet

How about joining it to a table with all of the possible team names to add a 'no exceptions' message as the output if there are none? 

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Paul-Evans

That will do the trick!

I managed to work around by setting up a template output file with all of the possible outputs predefined as tabs in the file. Not as elegant as your solution but got me to where I needed to go. Think I will take your approach though going forward!

Cheers

kumar_92
5 - Atom

Hello @mcleavey 

I'm working on .xls file, when I try to overwrite sheet its not working. I believe it was something with the Excel format and its working file for .xlsx. But I need to export the data into .xls as we need to format the data sheet.

Do you know whether we have any other option where we can overwrite the existing file in .xls ?

Thanks in advance.

Janani2
5 - Atom

Hi,

I'm having an excel "input file" which has 2 days data. I'm taking the latest data from this file and appending it with the current day's data then overwrite the sheet in the first mentioned "input file" .

I'm using dynamic input tool for bringing the input & using formula tool to determine the output path.

For some reason when I run the workflow its only creating a new excel file with only one sheet and not over writing the existing sheet in the "input file". can someone help?

This is my output tool configuration:

Janani2_0-1675534026155.png

Janani2
5 - Atom

Have used "block until done" at the end as well and my excel file is .xlsx

Janani2_0-1675534440569.png

Revathi_M
5 - Atom

I tried to overwrite .xls file but the output I am getting is it deleting the existing data and overwrite starts at the very next row of deleted rows. Eg - my file already has 10 rows, and when output data tool tries to overwrite .xls file, it is deleting 10 rows and start writing from 11th row. 

Do we have a solution for this? 

Thanks in Advance

Labels