Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Overlay Tool Examples

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Can anyone provide me a simple yet working example of a chart with text overlaid onto it in the top center? That looks something like this 

joshuaburkhow_0-1623233544512.png

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @joshuaburkhow 

You can use report text tool (center align the text) and attach it above the chart in text tool configuration to get the above output.

Hope this helps 🙂

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @joshuaburkhow ,

the overlay tool is a festering rats nest of pixel carnage. In a nice way.

I've attached an example, which uses the positional overlay and the section padding at the bottom.

I would like to introduce you to Mr. Trial and Mrs. Error.

mceleavey_0-1623235431727.png

M.

Bulien

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @joshuaburkhow 

You can add a title directly in the Interactive Chart Tool. When configuring your chart, navigate to Style --> Chart, and at the bottom you'll see a section for title. The options for formatting your text are limited, but you can edit your text in HTML to change font size, color, etc. 

See the example below where I added a title to the chart and changed the color/size/weight of the font. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1623272287187.png

I've attached a sample workflow using the same data from @mceleavey's example.

Thanks!

Phil

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

To be clear, the state of "Too Much Josh" is entirely theoretical at this point. 

Bulien

wildflower
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey - would you know if there is a limitation to the size of the output produced by the Overlay tool? For instance, the Render tool hangs on producing a PDF with 120+ pages; it performs fine with smaller outputs of 10 or so pages. Removing the Report Text and Overlay tools takes my workflow around 1 minute to complete and produces the 121 pages fine.  With these two tools, it hangs out for over 1.5 hours and I end up cancelling the run. I want to add a Watermark when the workflow is in testing phase but haven't gotten past this. 

Render tool struggles to produce high volume PDF:

wildflower_0-1654017430521.png

I also want to know is there a way to repeat the Text on each page vs just the last page based on my configuration?

wildflower_1-1654017451177.png

Watermark is only visible on the last page:

wildflower_2-1654017618068.png

Labels