Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Overlapping Dates

gslabosky
5 - Atom

I have a series of records for beginning and end dates that overlap, for example, for a guest's hotel stay. I want to eliminate overlaps in the records and keep a guest's earliest check in date and latest check out date for each stay. A check out followed by a check in on the same day would not count as an overlap. 

Here is an example set of records.

gslabosky_0-1628520409319.png

I would like this to become the following

gslabosky_1-1628520429700.png

Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @gslabosky 

Can you provide this sample data in excel?

gslabosky
5 - Atom

Yep, here it is

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

Try this.  It sorts by both dates, then uses a multi-row formula to take the highest end date if a row is part of the same stay as the previous row (forces ascending end dates for the same stay).  Then identify different stays in another multi-row formula, and finally group and take the min/max dates.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @gslabosky 

@Christina_H has done a great job on this usecase.

I was trying to solve it in a way different from the above posted solution but almost ended up with a similar approach. 😅 Hence i am not posting anything.

gslabosky
5 - Atom

Thank you!

Labels