Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Overlap Between Multiple Polygons

pfoster
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Everyone,

I'm working with a national spatial dataset at the state level, but one where the object often extends beyond state borders. I've been attempting to find a way to identify the overlap between the state level spatial objects. In the end, I'm' hoping to find the area of the spatial object of the state, as well as the area of any overlapping areas with neighboring states.

This is easily done with the Spatial Process tool when you're only looking at the overlap between two spatial objects, but i'm hoping someone may have an idea of how to find the overlap between multiple. In this specific case, since i'm working with states it is likely that most states will have overlap with each neighboring state, so this one is giving me a bit of trouble.

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

A handy feature in this scenario: In the Spatial Match tool, check the "Output Intersection Object" box. This will automatically output the "IntersectPoly" from your matches. 

This intersection object will be created between each object from the Target and Universe inputs. So one will be created for Territory1>State1 and Territory1>State2. A Spatial Info tool can then calculate the area of these intersecting objects for your calculations. 

pfoster
6 - Meteoroid

Appreciate it. This worked for me.

Labels