Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Outputting multiple excel files using different cuts of raw data

jgagalang1
7 - Meteor

Hi

Im currently getting to grips with Alteryx and have the following problem i am trying to solve so any help would be massively appreciated.

I have a data extract in an excel file that contains a bunch of information e.g. home addresses that you can cut multiple ways e.g. city, country, real estate type etc.

I've used alteryx to successfully cut this excel file into say 10 different files, one for each country using this method:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Output-data-into-multiple-files/td-p/1... 

What i want to do next is feed each of these 10 different cuts of raw data into another excel file that does a standardised set of calculations on the cuts of the raw data. e.g.

• Analysis file_Greenland
  • Analysis file_Germany
  • Analysis file_Sweden

The formulas in each analysis file are all the same but the raw data used would be different based on the country it is filtered on, as would the file name. What would be the best way of doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @jgagalang1 

Please see the attached zip file. I'm using a Directory Tool to grab a template file, using the Append and Formula tools to create a cmd script, and then the Run Command Tool to copy, rename, and save new versions of this template to the desired output folder.

Once these files are created, I'm using a Join and Formula Tool to update and create a PATH field that is used to split out my Raw Data into the different files.

Maskell_Rascal_0-1593535214638.png

Folder Setup:

Maskell_Rascal_1-1593535238785.png

Starter File:

Maskell_Rascal_2-1593535253960.png

Output Folder - Post Running Workflow:

Maskell_Rascal_3-1593535296107.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Thanks!

Phil

jgagalang1
7 - Meteor

Phil, beautiful solution - super intuitive and easy to follow! Thanks so much for the help!

ShravaniChanda
8 - Asteroid

is it possible for to look up the values from data table to template file because in your example country is used to split the files, and copy the each country's data to respective files, my requirement slight different, Let say I want to split the files based on company codes, each company codes will have few tax codes and the template has tax codes and cells next to that should updated tax amounts without any change in template.

Below is the snip of the template, green color are the only ones to be updated remaining headers and all the color format should not change. this is for company AAA

there are 30 plus other companies and all the codes for each company should follow and get formatted this way. any suggestion

ShravaniChanda_0-1622017391286.png

Labels