Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Outputting data to Excel with Table Tool formatting

akihirokomatsu
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I'm looking for a solution for my current predicament - 

I am currently outputting one dataset to many Excel workbooks using filepaths that I created in a Formula Tool (each row of data is tagged with a certain filepath). I now want to dynamically format certain rows with a color, which I know I can do with the Table tool. My predicament is that after using the Table tool, I cannot output the data into the Excel workbooks using the filepaths, because the filepaths are now part of the table and cannot be used in the Output Data tool. 

Does anyone know of any possible solutions? Ideally, I would like to the Table tool for formatting, but it is essential for me to use filepaths to direct where rows of data should be outputted.  

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

In your Table tool, configure the Group By at the top to use the file path field. Any fields selected as a Group By field will be passed through to the tool output and it will still be available for the Table contents as well. 

akihirokomatsu
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the quick response. When I try this, I can only output the HTML of the table, and not the contents of the table. Is there a workaround for this as well?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Are you using the Output Tool or the Render Tool? If you create a table (or any other Layout fields using the Reporting tools) a Render tool must be used.

akihirokomatsu
8 - Asteroid

I am using the Output tool. I've explored the Render tool, but I get this error when I try to output the data by filepath:

Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The Data Field on the Render tool must be a layout field like that produced by the Table tool. Layout fields have blue text when viewed in the Results window/Browse tool. 

I've attached a crude modification of the earlier workflow that shows how a Group By field can be passed along with a Layout field to a Render tool to produce different files with different names.

Labels