Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output tool splitting one column values in 2 different columns

Pankhudri20
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have a workflow where the output tool is writing an excel file. But in the file column CN values is split with column CP. 

Please see the attached image for reference.

Pankhudri20_0-1612364610693.png

Is there a way I can resolve this?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

Hi @Pankhudri20 ,

Are you writing to xlsx or to csv in your workflow? Could you share a screenshot of your output data tool configuration?

Pankhudri20
8 - Asteroid

Hello @kelsey_kincaid

I am writing to a csv file.

Pankhudri20_0-1612374429391.png

Thank you.

DanH

Without seeing your workflow, it's a little hard to guess, but you might just need a Join instead of a Union tool. See the attached.

Pankhudri20
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DanH

Please find the screenshot of a part of workflow attached.

Unfortunately, i cannot share the workflow here.

Pankhudri20_0-1612376791450.png

Which union should I remove U1 or U2? 

Thank you!

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Pankhudri20 ,

The problems seems to be most likely to the column being renamed by a join tool.

Setting up an example, if on the first join (the upper one) shares the name of a column on both sides (L and R) the 'R' one will be renamed (To Right_A).

If you then join the data again on the bottom join it may be that you are getting the column Right_A from the left data and A from the right data.

Check the name on both columns, it is most likely due this that you are getting the results on two separate columns.

Regards

Pankhudri20
8 - Asteroid

Hello @afv2688 

I checked the field names for both joins and Join1 is renaming A to Right_A and Join2 is taking field Right_A as left and A as Right.  

Is this incorrect?

Regards

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Pankhudri20 ,

This will be the issue most likely. Put a select tool before the second join on the left side. Rename the column from Right_A to A.

This should solve the problem.

Regards

Pankhudri20
8 - Asteroid

Hello @afv2688 

I renamed the column and it is still the same.

Regards,

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Pankhudri20 ,

The data is not being merged due it being renamed, check the column names from the last left outpt and from the join output (which are both of the last union inputs). You will see there that (if that is the issue)  the columns you are having trouble with have different naming.

Once the name is corrected it should solve the problem

Regards

Labels