Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output to multiple xlsx files

ansonwun
8 - Asteroid

(This was originally posted in the Knowledge Base but I think this is a better place to ask so I've moved it... Please pardon the confusion.)

Hi. Recently I need to do something similar to this knowledge article:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Split-Output-Into-Multiple-Files-with-Specif...

but I ran into a problem. The example above is outputting to Alteryx database format. I'd like to output mine into multiple Excel files (not worksheets). But it gave me a "You must specify a sheet name error." I tried different combination of the "Output Options" and "Take File/Table name from field" and still to no avail. My setting is this:

image.png

Basically my data has a few hundred rows with 2 columns only, and I'd like to split it into some 20+ files according to the "Dept" field.

Many thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The field value must be in the format <FileName>|||<SheetName>

Easiest way is to append the |||Sheet1 using a formula just before the output.

Simple example attached

ansonwun
8 - Asteroid

Thanks so much! Works perfectly!

jho
5 - Atom

This solution is outputting the files I need, but the files seem to be corrupted. I selected .xlsx, but the files appear as type "File." I'm assuming it's an easy fix: any idea why these outputs would be corrupted?

btitze
5 - Atom

Hey jho,

you can just change the formula tool to [Field1] + '.xlsx|||Sheet1' and it will work.

Labels