Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output to multiple sheets within an Excel file using formula driven file name

DBourke19841
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I've been using Alteryx for about 6 months and love the tool. I have come across a new issue with one of my workflows which I'm hoping to get some help on.

I am creating 3 output sheets which write to a single excel file on a share drive. 2 of my outputs run as normal and save into the excel file location but the third output is returning the following error message "Unable to Open archive for zipping <File Path> The System cannot find the path specified".

As the file path is the same for the other two outputs which run without incident and the output settings are the same for all three outputs why am I getting this error?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Donal

6 REPLIES 6
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @DBourke19841

Are you using a Block Until Done Tool? How is your output tool configured, could you show us?

Cheers,

ShawnM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Block Until Done will get you part of the way thereBut you best bet is using the workflow to generate a file path that includes tab (sheet) name.  This will allow you to generate multiple tabs to one document, without that error.  You can use a formula tool to either create an entire file path, or generate a file path using the source data (like in my attached example).  The Output Data tool allows you to use a file path in the data to write to a specific tab in a file, and you can elect to remove the file path from the output data for cleanliness.  Please see the image below and the attache workflow example.

Dynamic File Path.jpg 

DBourke19841
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@ShawnM the workflow you have below is exactly what I have been using to generate the file path and output. My source information is coming from three sources which come through my workflow with various exclusions built in. I then joined these data stream to the single book using the formula tool to generate the file name.

The output is writing successfully for two of the three data sources and I can't figure out why.

I have tried the "Block Until Done" tool also but the error still persists for this single data stream.

Really appreciate your time on this.

Thanks,

Donal 

ShawnM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Is your workflow something you can zip-up and share?  It might be a simple Output configuration issue that can be resolved with a fresh set of eyes.

DBourke19841
8 - Asteroid

Hi Guys,

Looked at it fresh today and it was an issue with some source data mapping which wasn't captured in the output which was causing issues.

Thanks for your time.

Donal

haphan_tran
7 - Meteor

I write a deep dive into this problem in this post. Please take a look at this.
Writing to multiple Excel Sheets in the same files... - Alteryx Community

Labels