Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output to multiple sheets within an Excel file not working

isaac_lane
7 - Meteor

Am having trouble outputting data to different tabs within the same excel spreadsheet, from the same alteryx workflow. Usually this is fine however adding an additional tab to the workflow update has caused the following error message:

Error: Output Data (215): Unable to open file for write: \\as-sydn-shrdat01\FILEPATH\FILENAME.xlsx: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)

And when I removed the additional work to be the same outputs as the previous version, the same error appeared. It's as if once the process error happened, it corrupted the whole workflow.

I have used multitudes of combinations of block until doneparallel block until done and label block until done tools with no success at all.

Have attached an example workflow for a basic theoretical understanding of what I am trying to do. Additionally the workflow uses the same excel file for inputs earlier in the workflow and this is done without any errors.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@isaac_lane,

I leave nothing to chance.  I have replied with a workflow that will work for you.  The output of the first summary is held and submitted to writing and then the output records are counted and that count is appended (not really, just makes the next count wait) to the next summary output.  This pattern repeats.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
levell_x_dunn
10 - Fireball

HI @isaac_lane

As @MarqueeCrew pointed out the key is the block until done.

Block Until Done.png

What this does it tells Alteryx to do not open the excel file until the previous block until done is completed. The order you put the block until done is one of the guides Alteryx will use to write order to the excel file. So the quick and easy rule.. add a block until done or every sheet you when you are writing to the same excel file with multiple sheet/tab

isaac_lane
7 - Meteor

Thankyou @MarqueeCrew the block/count/append combination works well, appreciate the help.

Labels