Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output to multiple files from one single Excel file

Raj_2
8 - Asteroid

Hi There,

I have one excel file with three tabs , need to split this to three files in same folder. Can we do this Alteryx.

Regards

Raj

7 REPLIES 7
SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Hello @Raj_2,

Yes, we can. There are a couple of approaches to this. First, if it's just a one-off and a low number of individual files/sheets then you can simply create a workflow like the below and attached. (The output tools haven't been configured yet as I'm not sure how you want to output them, which is why they show a red exclamation mark).

Capture.PNG

If you have a lot of files/sheets then I would suggest creating a simple macro to output sheets to files by using their full path as an identifier for individual output files.

Sam :)

Raj_2
8 - Asteroid

You made a simple one, where I was thinking too much ...thank you so much

btw, can you share me the macro or if you found some one in community please share I have multiple files.

SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Hi @Raj_2,

Here is a macro version that would take a list of sheets from multiple files (based on the directory file specification) and save each sheet to a separate file.

Capture.PNG

Sam :)

Raj_2
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Sam for the response

I am unable unzip the file due to the Alteryx version. Also I see a question mark in the work flow while I unzip the file.

Hope you will be able to answer my newbie question.

Regards

Raj

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi Raj,

I can help with the versioning question. The black and white question mark tool indicates that Alteryx can't find the tool (in this example, my guess is the macro isn't installed)

Try changing the .yxzp extension to .zip, and open it using winzip. Then open each Alteryx workflow or macro in the zip with Notepad or Wordpad, and find the Alteryx version line. It's around the second line of code and looks like this: <AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2018.1">

Change the version to the version of Alteryx you have. Do this with all of the yxmd and yxmc in the zip. Save the files and update the zip with the new files.

Back in Windows explorer, change the .zip extension back to .yxzp. You can now open and unpack it in Alteryx.

This happens with me on a regular basis, as we haven't upgraded our version in quite a while.

Cheers,

Esther

SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Hi @Raj_2,

I've attached the files separately for you here. If the question mark is on the Macro icon then it will be because Alteryx didn't import it during the usual unzip process. You will need to add the directory of where the Macro is saved so Alteryx can "see" it. Instructions and more info on Macro installation here.

San :)

Raj_2
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Sam, Esther

Labels