Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output to multiple Excel files with multiple sheets

bobbybalan
7 - Meteor

I have a requirement to output data in Excel format in multiple files, each having multiple sheets. I should have 1 output file for each Client and each file should have 4 sheets - Combined, Paid, Denied, Pended. If there is no record found for a Type then a blank sheet should be included. This is the output I am looking for - 

Files --> TestFile_ABC_DateTimeToday().xlsx, TestFile_XYZ_DateTimeToday().xlsx, TestFile_LMN_DateTimeToday().xlsx

Tabs in each file --> Combined (this will combine Type = Paid, Denied, Pended)

Paid (Type =Paid)    

Denied (Type = Denied)

Pended (Type = Pended)

The two items I need help with

1) Dont know how to add a tab that does not have any record. For XYZ, there are no Pended claims. The XYZ file should have a blank Pended tab.

2) Not sure how I can add the Combined tab. It is not a valid Type.

Any help is much appreciated.

The input looks like this -

Client       Type       Claim #

=====================

ABC         Paid       111
ABC         Denied    222
ABC         Pended    333
XYZ         Paid         444
XYZ         Denied     555
LMN        Paid          666
LMN        Pended     777

1 REPLY 1
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @bobbybalan ,

this is simply a matter of creating all combinations using the append tool. This is called a cartesian join. Once you have determined all combinations you can determine what is missing and simply add them in:

mceleavey_0-1618566576718.png

I've updated your workflow and that should work now.

Also, you might need to wrap the actual output in a macro and use the fullpath as the batch parameter (grouped on a sum tool) to prevent the error where Alteryx tries to write to multiple sheets simultaneously and it says the file is in use by another process.

Hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

Labels