This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
I tried it out, and the Google end of things has changed since the original article was written, but I was successful. After I tried the first time, though, I later decided to enable Google Drive API as well as Google Sheets API in step 5.
My biggest problem had been that I somehow skipped step 7 the first time. Maybe I didn't select "OAuth client ID",
and it has to be that one in order to get the page with all the radio buttons:
Once I got that done, and the Authorized redirect URI in there, it worked fine.
In the OAuth playground, clicked on the gear to configure and left everything at defaults except the check box and the credentials (though I'm not showing them in the picture). I did delete extra spaces that got pasted when I entered credentials.
When I clicked on Authorize APIs, it asked me what account I wanted to use, and I only have one, so that part was easy. The browser warned me, but I am the Developer, so I went fearlessly forward:
I granted permission to access my Google Drive, and then got to the next step in the playground. That was to click (in Step 2) "Exchange authorization code for tokens." After a few seconds, the site advanced me to Step 3, so I had to click to reopen Step 2 in order to copy the Refresh token. With that in hand, Step 3 is optional, so I skipped it.
I double-checked that the Google Sheets API and the Google Drive API was enabled, back in my Google Developer's Dashboard:
A very simple workflow with the Google Sheets Output tool worked, placing a new Google Sheet on my Google Drive. Likewise a very simple workflow with the Google Sheets Input tool allowed me to fetch that sheet.
Lisa LePome Senior Customer Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach Alteryx, Inc.