Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output to Excel without Over-Writing or Appending

mattlukoff
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I'm using Alteryx to generate a mapping file in Excel which will be updated every time I re-run my workflow. I only see options to drop (delete) the Excel Table or Append it however I only want to append new records. What's the simplest way to do this with the least manual intervention in my workflow? Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@mattlukoff It worked fine on my end! Here is what I would do:

1) Download the workflow and macro from my previous post to a folder on your computer.

2) Open the workflow (not the macro) and make 3 changes:

1) Change the Input tool to be whatever your data set is. 

2) Click on the macro, and use the file browse area to change that to your mapping file (it needs to be an xlsx).

3) The list box should show you all the fields from #1 (your input data). You would select the fields that you want to join on in the mapping file. For your example, it was the field "fruit". I think you can use more than 1 field, but I haven't tested that.

Capture.PNG

Once you click run, you should get a results window like this:

Capture.PNG

It read in 5 fields from my example data, and it wrote 2 of the 5 to the mapping file. Note that this example data and mapping are the files you posted if you wanted to try it on your side.

mattlukoff
8 - Asteroid

@patrick_digan thanks that's exactly what I did (and just - re-tried) but to no avail. The mapping file didn't get updated. Any other ideas?

Labels