Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output to Excel Percents and Currency Formats

mstoler
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am currently updating data in an Excel sheet.

I would to format a column as a percent and another column as currency in Excel.  I have noticed if I use a fixed decimal Alteryx does correctly format the cell.

How can I do this from within Alteryx?

Thanks,

Michael

5 REPLIES 5
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

So you can use a Select tool just before your Output Data tool to change the data types of your required fields to fixed decimal with the format 19.2

Also, in Alteryx 2020.1 and later, you have the Option in the Output Data tool to preserve the cell formatting set in the Excel file when overwriting a range or sheet. This means that if you're writing to an existing Excel file, you can preset the cell, column or row formatting in the Excel file before running the workflow. Alteryx will then overwrite the data but keep the formatting unchanged.

mstoler
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Thank You.

I need to append so I am not sure if Preserve Formatting on Overwrite Range will work with an Append.

I did find the Select helpful.

Thanks,

Michael

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The other thing that I've seen people do is to build a VBA macro in Excel to fix all the formatting and trigger it with the Run Batch Command tool or After Run Event at the end of an Alteryx workflow.

mstoler
8 - Asteroid

I think that will be the best approach. 

Bring it in with the desired precision and then format in Excel.

Thanks,

Michael

Karl_Spratt
8 - Asteroid

Hi David,

Can you explain how you would do the VBA Marco, create these commands?

TIA

Karl. 

Labels