Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output text surrounded with ''

LizPerry
7 - Meteor

Hi, we need to output an Excel file where each column of text is surrounded by '' ie. 'column 1' 'column 2' 'column 3' etc. Is there a tool which can do this?

7 REPLIES 7
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Use the multi field formula and use the following expression < "'"+[_CurrentField_]+"'" >

It's less manual than doing it on the formula tool

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Configured like this:

Untitled.png

LizPerry
7 - Meteor

Thanks this looks great! I'm getting an error about 'type mismatch in operator +' which I guess is to do with the fact that I'm trying to surround both numerical and string columns. Thanks though, really useful!

yalmar_m
11 - Bolide

Hi @LizPerry,

I'd suggest using the dynamic rename. If you'd configure it like this it will work.

Best,

Yalmar

Rename_YM.PNG

LizPerry
7 - Meteor

Hi and thanks Yalmar, that only seems to enclose the column headings though not the data in the fields as well which is what I need. Thanks, though! :-)

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Yes, it only works on the string values. If you want to apply them you would need first to switch the field to string. Otherwise it is impossible (even by forcind an < "'"+ tostring([_CurrentField_]) +"'" >.

Antother way would be to copy and create new fields, which would be appended to the ones already exsisting, leaving your current ones untouched to keep working on them.

Regards

LizPerry
7 - Meteor

Thank you @afv2688 really useful!

Labels