Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output report total not accurate

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

Hi team, 

I need help with something really weird that I noticed. In the attached workflow, the last calculation performed is using the formula tool. The Summarize tool, highlighted, shows the Sum of a "current" field as $100 (dummy number) however, when I run the workflow the report shows the total sum of the "current" field as $105. I mean, since there are no calculations performed following the formula tool and the summarize tool shows the correct/expected total amount, why is the output file total amount for that field is different )(higher)? I can't think of how/why this can happen. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks 

Suman

Capture_alt.JPG

11 REPLIES 11
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @itssumanb, would you be able to replicate your issue with some dummy data and share it? It is often easier to look at the data to explain what might be going on.

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

Hey @AbhilashR , Thank you so much for looking into this. 

I tried to mimic the workflow with a handful number of rows in the input files and the output totals are just as expected. My original input files have 200K + rows so it is going to be really difficult for me to replicate the dataset. As I mentioned in my original post, when summarizing the last tool (formula) that does any kind of calculation it is showing the correct sum for the 'Current' field name but the same field, after running the workflow shows a different total in the excel output file. In addition, to 'Current', I have several other fields and all of them are showing the correct sum but this particular field is showing a different total in the excel report vs what it shows when I use the Summarize tool. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Quick question:

are you outputting to excel via table/render or output data? Can you swap to the other and see if the result is the same.

I'm working under the assumption that there's no grouping difference and no weird switch to a string with a potential concatenating or other crosstab summing that happens.

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

Hi @apathetichell ,

As seen in the pic I attached, I am using table/render for outputting my report.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

o.k - so  what happens if you swap it to output data as a test run?

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

I will try that here in a moment and get back to you

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

my next question would probably be what happens if you attach an output data directly after the summarize tool where you see the correct sum. 

Ideally the best way to do this is to probably figure out by process of elimination where the data change is occuring so you can either a) report a bug b) fix something which inadvertently changed it.

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

I tested something before using the OUTPUT tool and am surprised to share my findings which is quite weird. In the Current field, I had used a prefix (the $ symbol) and Decimal Places ( 2 decimals). When I remove these column configurations for the Current field, the output file shows the correct sum. If I use either or both of these configs (shown in red arrow) my total for Current is not right. Any clue why it is behaving this way?

Capture_alt2.JPG

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I had a feeling it might be some weird 1 vs 100 rounding thing - but I was curious too - can you confirm though that you've stayed relatively static with dataype in the same field? The easy way to circumvent this problem is to make a string mirror of your field prior to rendering and carry that one to the table.

Just out of curiosity is your dataype integer/double/fixed/float etc. and has it remained that way? Ie what is the datatype there and what was it in and after the summarize field?

Labels