Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output options with append

RitaB
7 - Meteor

I am a new user, and I'm trying to build a process for pulling data for a different set of clients each day.  I'd like to output the data for each client on a separate tab in Excel, which I'm able to do by checking the box "Take File/Table Name from Field" and selecting "Client Name" as the field to separate the data into separate tabs. 

However, I want to clear out the previous day's clients all in this one step.  If I select "overwrite sheet", it keeps the previous day's clients in the spreadsheet, but after a few days, the spreadsheet will be really cluttered with all the clients.  If I select "overwrite file" the output for each of that day's clients overwrites all but the last one.  So if I have clients Brown, Jones, Smith, and Williams, the output will only show Williams, the last one.  I know it's writing each one, because in the results window it shows me that it wrote all 4 clients to the file on their own tabs.  If this process were just for me, I could live with it, but the users are not adept at excel and I don't want to have to manually clear out all the previous day's clients, nor do I want an excel macro.  Any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @RitaB 

Why don't you try the Events tab in your workflow?

You can create a bat file to delete your Excel File before your workflow runs. This is pretty easy and it works really well.

Then you select the Option "Create New Sheet", and you'll always have a full refresh of sheets.

Events tab on your workflow. Click anywhere in your workflow and you'll have the ability to select Events tab to configure an event.

deleteexcel.PNG

Delete.bat file: A simple notepad opened with your root drive - a del command and your full path.

delete1.PNG

Cheers,

RitaB
7 - Meteor

Thank you.  I was not familiar with the Events tab so I will try this.  

RitaB
7 - Meteor

It worked!  Thank you very much.

Labels