Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output more than one table into same excel with different tab

newlearner123
5 - Atom

HI All,

I have a various report designed in Alteryx and would like to combine all reports and output as one excel but with different tab.

I am able to use Union Tools and then Render tools + select section breaks between records, however i find that I can't name the tab (they are named as sheet 1 sheet 2 sheet 3 etc) and sequence of tab is not set according to the union sequence 1,2,3. 

Is that a way I can set the sequence of the tab and rename the tab? I also tried to use output tool but seems i am not able to combine three table into one output?

Also attach the desire output for quick reference. Thanks!

newlearner123_0-1611667791136.png

newlearner123_1-1611667823288.png

9 REPLIES 9
mhey01
7 - Meteor

Hey @newlearner123 

You can do this with the 'Block Until Done' tool. Click the search bar in the top right corner of Altreyx Designer and type 'Block'.

Block Until Done has three outgoing ports labelled 1, 2 and 3 (1 is executed first, 2 second etc). You can then choose what data goes to which Excel Sheet using 3 separate Output tools.

Give that a try 🙂

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@newlearner123,

Not sure if you can rename the sheet name.

Below how you can generate multiple sheets

messi007_0-1611669130124.png

Attached the workflow,

Hope this helps!

Regards,

newlearner123
5 - Atom

Thanks Mhey01,

I am very new to Alteryx, do you mind modified the workflow for me for quick reference? 

As there is only 3 labels in Block until done tools, if I have more than 3 tabs would like to create, what should I do? 

Thanks in advance

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @newlearner123 --

Yes, you can name the tabs, but its not straightforward.

Before your basic table tools add in a formula tool and create a column called Sheetnames. In the fomula, just create a sheetname -- so "Monday". Do this for each table.

In the Basic Table on the bottom where it says For Column Headings -- uncheck Sheetnames.. 

Add in a layout tool after your report text. Configure as below.

smoskowitz_0-1611668995034.png

Let me know if this works for you. I currently use this in some of my workflows.

Thanks,

Seth

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@newlearner123,

thanks to @smoskowitz I learned new thing today.

below the updated workflow

messi007_1-1611669721700.png

Hope this helps!

Regards

newlearner123
5 - Atom

HI 
Thanks for your workflow. May I know the tool "Vertical layout section break" is literally referring to how I organisate the workflow vertically like the yellow arrow?

newlearner123_0-1611669702825.png

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @newlearner123,

It's not the order of the tools on the workflow but the order of the records (data rows) that come out of your union that will define it.

Jonathan-Sherman_1-1611670627281.png

You'll see on your workflow each branch has a name when going into the union (#1, #2, #3 in this case), you can change the order of these at the bottom of your union tool configuration pane. If you want them in a particular order simply tick "Set a Specific Output Order" and move the #1, #2, #3 up and down using the arrows on the right hand side.

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1611670564907.png

Kind regards,

Jonathan

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

@messi007 

Always happy to pay it forward. Somebody helped me with something at some point.

Seth

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@newlearner123,

You are already doing it, Or I misunderstand something.

You want every sheet with the 3 tables together or one table per sheet.

Please see below the union part

messi007_0-1611673121605.png

Regards,

Labels