Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output in desired format but also with today's date

mboroto_89
8 - Asteroid

i want to generate my output files in specific/desired format where by i don't have to keep opening the excel file and bolden the first row, change background colour to yellow and also have the all borders in the data. Additionally i want the output to come out reading with today's date for instance Output Report as at 18.08.2021.

See below the desired output format but also to include the date in the filename in the end as Output Report as at 18.08.2021

12 REPLIES 12
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

The only way to do the formatting thing is to output the data to a specific range of an already existing sheet, like this:
C:\Users\Desktop\mbarone\SameStore_Charts.xlsx|||'Sheet1$A1:O21', making sure to check the "Preserver Formatting on Overwrite (Range Required) option in the Output tool's config pane.

For appending the date to the file name, you have to create (or use an existing) column in the dataset with whatever you want to append (like a field called "append_this_text".   And then in the Output tool's config pane, at the bottom, there's a checkbox for "Take File/Table Name From Field".  Check that, choose "Append/Suffix to File/Table Name, pick your field, and that'll do it.

mboroto_89
8 - Asteroid

thanks, this will do.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Very welcome!

Steven_G
5 - Atom

Hi.  I also wanted to have my output file appended with today's date; however, when I do the above procedure Alteryx only appends the sheet name, not the file name.  How do I get it to change the filename or output a new file with the date appended to the file name?  Thanks!

KSassone
8 - Asteroid

@Steven_G I am looking for an answer to your question as well!

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@Steven_G & @KSassone :  What would be the full path of the filename that you'd want?  For example, are you looking for something like "C:\users\mbarone\desktop\myfile_2022-02-07.csv" ?  Or something else?

KSassone
8 - Asteroid

I am looking for the output to be in .xlsx format.  I can do the .csv but I need this option to append to an excel file name and not the tab within the excel document.  I am looking for how to add the date to the end of the file name each time I run the report.  I have the date as a column in my file already.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I think I understand.  So instead of "C:\users\mbarone\desktop\MyExcelFile.xlsx|||Sheet1_2022-02-07" you want "C:\users\mbarone\desktop\MyExcelFile_2021-02-07.xlsx|||Sheet1" , correct?

KSassone
8 - Asteroid

Correct!

Labels