Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output in .csv (excel) and split data in columns, not with comma

VICTOR_MIHAESCU
5 - Atom

I have an output from Alteryx and I have exported the data to .csv (excel). The problem is that when I opened the excel file I have all the data in only one column, split by the comma. Can you help me?

Capture.JPG

I need the data in the below format:

Capture2.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
tcroberts
12 - Quasar

You'll want to use the Text To Columns tool, configured to the number of columns you have. Once you've done that, pass your data stream to the Dynamic Rename tool, and select the "Take Field Names from First Row of Data" mode.

Let me know if this helps or you need clarification.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
If your data is in this format and you want to convert it using Alteryx then what is mentioned above works.

But it sounds like you've used Alteryx to generate this csv and that when you open it up in excel it is not doing so correctly?

If the above is the case then it's an excel issue and not Alteryx.

Why not just write to xlsx in the first place mind?

Ben
VICTOR_MIHAESCU
5 - Atom

Yes, it's the second case.

It is possible to be an excel issue but I thought that maybe it is an option somewhere in Alteryx for this because other colleagues exported the same file and work correctly for them. Maybe there is a tips&tricks for this issue and I have missed something. I will try also to check again my Excel settings.

Capture3.JPG

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hello @VICTOR_MIHAESCU

I found this post(it dates from 2010, so may no longer be valid) that talks about the differences between Excel running on European windows and Excel running on North American windows.  It boils down to the regional settings and by default the list separator is ";" since the comma "," is reserved as the decimal point. This would mean that your csv file is interpreted as one item per line since the default delimiter ";" is not found.   Could this be the issue with your regional settings/excel?

Update: As a test I, changed my regional settings from English(US) to French(France).  Now I can reproduce the behaviour that you see with each line being entered in column A as a whole. (I had to block out company data)

csv.png

So check your settings. 

Dan  

clant
8 - Asteroid

What was said above should fix it, if you change your delimiter to ";"

have this problem with my french colleagues! 

VICTOR_MIHAESCU
5 - Atom

Great! It worked. I changed the regional settings (List Separator in Windows) and I set the same symbol as in Delimiters field (in Alteryx). Now is working. Thank you for your help!

Capture2.JPG    Capture1.JPG   Capture3.JPG

Labels