Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output giving whole numbers instead of decimals

kdelisi002
7 - Meteor

I ran a simple workflow. Data cleanse-Filter-Select-Summarize-Output. I have FX rates in the excel file that are above/below 1, like 1.13, 0.77. But in my output they all show up as 1.00. Any insight would be appreciated, I can't figure out why. My format for the FX Rate is Double in the select tool.

6 REPLIES 6
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Do you output to Excel?  What do the values look like at the output anchor of the Summarize tool?  Any chance you can post your workflow and some sample data?  It would help a lot.

Dan

kdelisi002
7 - Meteor

The output is in excel and the Summarize tool kicks out a 1 with no decimal. I just realized a warning that it doesn't recommend to group by Double or float because of rounding errors, is there a way around this?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Can you post a pic of the configuration of your Summarize tool?

The group by warning message can be relevant depending on your data.  If you're calculating values that can't be exactly represented in a double, such as 1/3, Alteryx may not be able to group your data because of rounding.  If your data has a fixed number decimals, like pricing data, you should be good, until you start performing operation like averaging and trying to group on the averages.

Thanks

kdelisi002
7 - Meteor

Attached is a pic. ThanksCapture.jpg

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Everything looks good there.  Are you sure that your [FX Rate] has non-integer values? 

Any chance of sharing your workflow and some sample data?

Also:  It looks like you're reading the same file in both inputs.  Are they in different locations?

Edit:  Here's sample that groups by doubles.  As you can see the FX rates groups in the right output window are still doubles after being grouped by

non-integer grouping.png

Dan

kdelisi002
7 - Meteor

The inputs are two different locations but I split them because the fields are a little different. Thanks I ended up figuring it out it had to do with the two different files each column was different so I accidentally Renamed the wrong column FX on an input and that's what was causing it. Thanks for the insight, appreciate it.

Labels