Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output e-mail files

Kucsi
8 - Asteroid

Hi Community,

I need to create e-mail files (for example: .msg), with the whole e-mail in it (subject, body, from, to, cc, bcc, attachment). Every information are in an excel file. 

Is there any way to create these files? 

The e-mail tool is not an option in this case sadly.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kucsi

7 REPLIES 7
LukeM

Hi @Kucsi ,

Unfortunately, because .msg is a Microsoft-specific file, you'll need to use Outlook or Exchange in order to create them.

I've come across this issue in the past and struggled to find an appropriate automated workaround. The only solution I am aware of is to create a .csv file with the information (subject, body, from, to, cc, bcc, attachment) for each of your emails. This can be done using the following steps:

1. Create an example of the .csv from Outlook, using File > Open & Export > Import/Export and then exporting some emails to .csv.

2. Replicate that .csv with your particular email information in Alteryx and save as a .csv file.

3. Manually import the new .csv file into a folder in Outlook using File > Open & Export > Import/Export again.

4. Drag or save the imported files into a folder as .msg files.

I hope this is of help.

Luke

Kucsi
8 - Asteroid

Hi LukeM,

thanks for the fast respond.

Sadly it's just half way, because i can't attach the desired files to the e-mail in this way.

One more question: Can alteryx handle rtf or it is Microsoft-specific too?

Anyway, thanks for the tipp. I will keep searching for the best solution.

Kucsi

LukeM

@Kucsi - yes it's annoying. You also lose Datetime information with this method, if I remember correctly.

You can use the reporting tools, specifically the Render tool, to write to .rtf format (see here).

Luke

Kucsi
8 - Asteroid

Thank you :) I will check it 

Kucsi

vladankos
5 - Atom

Hi, there are solutions suitable for meeting your requirements.
In my work, I test the MSG PY module for Independentsoft company.
This is Microsoft Outlook .msg file module for Python.
The module allows you to easy create/read/parse/convert Outlook .msg files.
The module does not require Microsoft Outlook to be installed on the machine or any other third party application or library in order to work.

Kucsi
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the idea, i will check it 🙂

praveen022
7 - Meteor

Can you try sharing the module?

Thanks

Labels