Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output data - using variables in the "Write to File or Database"

zammar
7 - Meteor

Hello -

I am hoping someone could direct me to the right place. I can't find any other reference (I know, someone will have a link to something similar) but I am sorry I did not find anything.

My question is: I have a variable/Column defined "File_Name" as "H:\tmp\Alteryx\tmp\"+[Cycle]+ " Test.xlsx|||Sheet1". I am trying to use it the 'Write to File or Database" field when outputting my data to excel.

When I use the same string "H:\tmp\Alteryx\tmp\Cycle 5 Test.xlsx|||Sheet1" in the "Write to File or Database" it works.

Thanks for your help!!!

6 REPLIES 6
StephenMack
10 - Fireball

Do you get any kind of error?

I tried a simple version of this and it seems to write a file fine with my hard coded location and with a generated location. If your [Cycle] variable is a number you may have to convert it to a string?

"C:\mypath\" + ToString([Cycle]) + " test.xlsx|||Sheet1"

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

At the bottom of the Output Data tool config you can change this:

2019-06-21 06_58_24-Alteryx Designer x64 - New Workflow1_.png

In the dropdown you will see your field called File_Name.

It's important to .... 

- check the box "Take File/Table Name From Field"

- change the dropdown to "Change Entire File Path"

- probably UNCHECK the "Keep Field in Output" 

zammar
7 - Meteor

The error i get says something about needing to name the file.

zammar
7 - Meteor

Thank you! That will work if I am renaming the entire file. However, I am using the feature you outlined below to generate multiple tabs containing other variable names. In other words, I have a column called Type that is saved as a separate sheet for each value. But I need to use column File_Name to save the entire name of the file containing another variables "Cycle" that is also calculated within the workflow. 

zammar
7 - Meteor

Did you put the expression in the "Write to File or Database" field in Output data tool? And it worked? I am getting an error that I must specify a sheet name.

2019-06-21_7-52-59.png

zammar
7 - Meteor

Adding "|||Sheet" at the end fixed it... It is running fine now.

2019-06-21_8-18-58.png

Labels