Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output data to a formatted excel file with multiple sheets

ckestler
8 - Asteroid

I have created an app which outputs 5 reports into one excel workbook (so five sheets). I would like to format each sheet so that the columns are pre-sized, headers are highlighted, and there the columns have a banded color. 

I've painstakingly followed and tried many suggestions from other questions, yet none have worked. Most of these attempts have been using a template. 

What I am currently trying, is to start with a template which holds some placeholder data. I highlighed the area which would be replaced, and clicked 'Define Name'. I did this for each sheet, then saved and closed the template. 

(full disclosure, I'm not exactly sure what the need for this 'Define Name' step is for...It just seemed to be a necesssary step on this site http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-output-to-an-Excel-template-file/ta-...  )

Next, I went into my workflow, wrote to this file and the specified sheet, and put 'Delete Data and Append', so that the placeholder data will be deleted but the formatting will remain. 

ex:  where SandO is the sheet name

Capture.PNG

When I push play, my data get's written to the file, but each output becomes a new sheet with no formatting, named, for example 'SandO1'. It also takes FOREVER for the file to open.  

What gives?

I've also tried outputting to a specified range, as per another suggestion, but I get all sorts of errors..

Help!

I've attached my workflow. 

12 REPLIES 12
ashiques
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ckestler,

Did you able to get any solution for this?

I am also in the same situation either I get the output from gallery without template formatted or app runs and status show as

image.png

But the output is updated in the server. Need help on this issue. Thanks!

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

This is awesome!!! I had the same problem and it worked for me. Thanks!

justin_winter
8 - Asteroid

Still, haven't seen a solution to outputting to a formatted Excel on Gallery. If I check "Manage Workflow Assets" for the file then it doesn't use the template file, but if I uncheck it then it does write out locally on the server to the correct formatted Excel, but it tells the user that "This Workflow did not produce any output" even though it outputted locally. I also tried including the template Excel as an "Include Assets" but that through an error. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Justin

Labels