Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output data into multiple files

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, 

I am trying to export my data (see attached) into multiple excel files e.g. File name is 1234588968 and file contents as shown below: 

Poster_Frame_ID

Any ideas on the the best way to achieve this please? :) 

Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22
Gilld
8 - Asteroid

No this still isn't working unfortunately? 

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Gilld

Can you post the workflow you're working on, so I can take a look inside?

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Hey yeh no problem - please see attached

Thanks!

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Gilld,

First, check that in your drive Z:, there is actually a Desktop folder, and within it there is a KATHERINE folder (the Output tool is pointing to there).

Drive Z.PNG

Then, I can see that the formula has something odd. In the version I received, the characters prior to Sheet1 are forward slashes (/), and they should be pipes ( | ). If you add a browse tool to the formula tool, you'll be able to see how the data is generated.

Path_Formula.PNG

As @tom_montpool pointed out, other recommendation is to use FileAddPaths() formula, to ensure a proper path in the values.

Instead of the actual formula, please try this:

FileAddPaths("C:\Desktop\KATHERINE\", [Poster_Frame_ID]) + ".xlsx|||Sheet1"

Can you check that [Poster_Frame_ID] is of type string in your "production" workflow? 

Additionally, please check that the "Write to File or Database" value points to the Z drive too

Write File.PNG

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Ok nearly there!...I'm getting the attached excel output - but I don't want the FULL_PATH field in the excel workbook. How do I remove this field from the output? 

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Uncheck the "Keep Field in Output" check mark right to the FULL_PATH selection at the bottom of the Configuration

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Perfect! It's worked! Thank you so much :) 

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Anytime!

Keep enjoying the Thrill of Solving!

SorinDiaconescu
6 - Meteoroid

I managed to make it work for xlsx, but if i change everything to create CSV: Error: Output Data (2): Error creating the file " H:\Group\HR Shared Services\4. Analytics & Insights_202\2018\02 Quarterly Reporting & Insights\Global Score Cards\Power BI\Cuts\Americas and Sub-Saharan Africa.csv||| ": The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

any ideas?

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

In your filepath string it looks to me like there is a space before your H: drive specification. This might be your problem. You will also find that your file will not be recognized as a csv because the file extension will be "csv||| ". I'm not sure how you're creating the filename, but I assume that if it is part of this thread, you have a field that you're using. You can use the TRIM() function to remove the spaces (e.g. trim([filename]) and you can also use TRIM() to remove the pipe characters (e.g. trim(trim(filename,'|')).

Labels