Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output data into multiple files

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, 

I am trying to export my data (see attached) into multiple excel files e.g. File name is 1234588968 and file contents as shown below: 

Poster_Frame_ID

Any ideas on the the best way to achieve this please? :) 

Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22
Gilld
8 - Asteroid

No this still isn't working unfortunately? 

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Gilld

Can you post the workflow you're working on, so I can take a look inside?

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Hey yeh no problem - please see attached

Thanks!

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Gilld,

First, check that in your drive Z:, there is actually a Desktop folder, and within it there is a KATHERINE folder (the Output tool is pointing to there).

Drive Z.PNG

Then, I can see that the formula has something odd. In the version I received, the characters prior to Sheet1 are forward slashes (/), and they should be pipes ( | ). If you add a browse tool to the formula tool, you'll be able to see how the data is generated.

Path_Formula.PNG

As @tom_montpool pointed out, other recommendation is to use FileAddPaths() formula, to ensure a proper path in the values.

Instead of the actual formula, please try this:

FileAddPaths("C:\Desktop\KATHERINE\", [Poster_Frame_ID]) + ".xlsx|||Sheet1"

Can you check that [Poster_Frame_ID] is of type string in your "production" workflow? 

Additionally, please check that the "Write to File or Database" value points to the Z drive too

Write File.PNG

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Ok nearly there!...I'm getting the attached excel output - but I don't want the FULL_PATH field in the excel workbook. How do I remove this field from the output? 

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Uncheck the "Keep Field in Output" check mark right to the FULL_PATH selection at the bottom of the Configuration

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Perfect! It's worked! Thank you so much :) 

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Anytime!

Keep enjoying the Thrill of Solving!

SorinDiaconescu
6 - Meteoroid

I managed to make it work for xlsx, but if i change everything to create CSV: Error: Output Data (2): Error creating the file " H:\Group\HR Shared Services\4. Analytics & Insights_202\2018\02 Quarterly Reporting & Insights\Global Score Cards\Power BI\Cuts\Americas and Sub-Saharan Africa.csv||| ": The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

any ideas?

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

In your filepath string it looks to me like there is a space before your H: drive specification. This might be your problem. You will also find that your file will not be recognized as a csv because the file extension will be "csv||| ". I'm not sure how you're creating the filename, but I assume that if it is part of this thread, you have a field that you're using. You can use the TRIM() function to remove the spaces (e.g. trim([filename]) and you can also use TRIM() to remove the pipe characters (e.g. trim(trim(filename,'|')).

Labels