Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output data into multiple files

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, 

I am trying to export my data (see attached) into multiple excel files e.g. File name is 1234588968 and file contents as shown below: 

Poster_Frame_ID

Any ideas on the the best way to achieve this please? :) 

Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Gilld

The output data tool allows you to write multiple files 

OutputTool2.PNG

Just select the operation you want, and the field where the name of the desired file is.

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Hey @Aguisande

I've tried to use the output tool to do this and am getting the attached - it's splitting the data into different sheets in the same file. How would I split into different files instead?

Thanks for your help!

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I think you may consider creating a new "FULL_PATH" field, with a formula tool.

In this case I'd use :

Path.PNG

Formula for new path:

"C:\<Your Directory>\" + [Field value to use as file name]  + ".xlsx|||<Sheet Name>"

Then, in the Output Tool, Use the "Change Entire File Path" option, with the new field you created in the formula.

OutputTool3.png

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Gilld

For what I saw, this is caused by the shared folder you're using.

Please, try to map the share to a drive letter and try again, it should work.

Please let me know...

Gilld
8 - Asteroid

Hey, 

I've changed the file path but am still getting an error somewhere (see attached) ? 

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I believe you're missing a backslash before the file name

It should be: "Z:\Desktop\KATHERINE\" + ...

Also, try to change the Create New Sheet for the Overwrite Sheet (Drop) in the Output Options

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Gilld

Did it worked?

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

I have found it helpful to use the FileAddPaths() formula function in this kind of situation -- it ensures that all the proper backslashes are there.

Labels