Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output Tool

anupgupta12
8 - Asteroid

Hi There

Output tool is giving error :- "This process cannot access the file because another process has locked a porting of the file.

What's this error any idea, each time I get same error

14 REPLIES 14
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @anupgupta12 ,

This is because someone else (or yourself) has the file open or is editing the file.

You need to ensure your file is closed and nobody is accessing it when you run your workflow.

Alternatively, this could be because you are trying to overwrite a file that has a locked combination of cells, so the owner of the workbook has prevented anyone from overwriting it.

M.

Bulien

anupgupta12
8 - Asteroid

But the file is closed and I have not locked it. I have also restarted my system. Don't know what's wrong. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@anupgupta12 ,

check within the file, I'm assuming it's Excel, that you don't have protected cells. If you do, Excel will stop Alteryx from overwriting that area.

M.

Bulien

anupgupta12
8 - Asteroid

Yes, its a macro enabled excel file.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@anupgupta12 ,

So you will need to remove the cell protection to allow Alteryx to overwrite the file.

M.

Bulien

anupgupta12
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to write two output in the same file, one output is written but 2nd output gives the error

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ah, in that case the problem might be that it's opened by the first process.

Can you share your workflow so I can build a fix for you?

M.

Bulien

anupgupta12
8 - Asteroid

Actually workflow is on official laptop that doesn't allow to send emails, can you tell me here?

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You need to build a block until done process for the second output, but given they are both writing out to the same destination, you may need to wrap the second in a macro downstream of the first.

M.

Bulien

Labels