Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output Tool adds a blank row

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to append a column to an input excel file but the output tool adds a blank row as first row and the second row with the expected text. I selected append to existing sheet option from the output options menu and map by name from the append field name menu. The result is:

Header1 | Header2 | Field expected

<text>        <text>           blank

blank         blank           <text>

11 REPLIES 11
ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @Istwineres ,

Can you please provide a sample file. It will be easier than guessing the input

Many thanks

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Istwineres 

Most likely your field mapping is not working as you expected.

Try to adjust the option as attached.

Capture1.PNG

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

I tried that, same output a blank row than the expected output

Vijuzy
8 - Asteroid

As you have selected append to existing sheet option from the output options, all the result will be appended after any used row in excel. Before executing the workflow open the excel sheet you are trying to append result to and press Ctrl+End from keyboard, now the selected cell should be end of your data row if any data already present else end of header row, if it ends in any other row (blank row) delete the entire row and save the excel file and try again. It should solve the blank row issue.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Vijay

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

The issue is still present

Vijuzy
8 - Asteroid

Then attach the workflow and the file you are writing result into, so we can review and identify any issue.

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

Sorry, cannot attach the input file for privacy reasons.

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @Istwineres ,

Here is a test workflow. Adding a col through a formula tool and append tool. They seem ok.

Lets take this as a starting point to understand the issue.

Please feel free to amend the workflow, replicate the issue and send back.

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the help but that is not what I described as desired solution, moreover I'm aware of this and other solution I'm trying to figure out the specific case I mentioned in the original post.

Labels