Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output Tool - 'Dynamic Filename' feature and 'Tab-Split by Values' feature

owenkosnen
8 - Asteroid

Hello experts,

I am quite new to Alteryx and am wondering if there are some Alteryxians here willing to share advice and/or ideas.

I am currently trying split records into different tabs by values in excel file as output and am utilizing the feature in Output Tool called "Change File/Table Name". At the same time, I also want to make use of the "Change Entire File Path" to generate dynamic file name. But since Output tool only allows one selection of 'feature', I was wondering if you have any idea/suggestion to circumvent this?

Thank you and would appreciate any kind of ideas.

outputfeature.png

11 REPLIES 11
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @owenkosnen 

If i understand correctly you want to change filename as well as tab name.

You can write a formula like below.

atcodedog05_0-1603796449037.png

and load on Change filepath

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1603796625612.png

Check and let me know

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @owenkosnen 

I have prepared a mockup workflow for you

Emil_Kos_0-1603796636436.png

If this was something helpful please mark as a solution!

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi, @owenkosnen if you are trying to generate two different scenarios such as 

1) Separate tabs in a single file.

2) Separate files grouped by a specific field 

3) If you are trying to generate different files with tab name same to the file name then you can use this workflow.

I have provided 3 solutions. 

grazitti_sapna_0-1603797035825.png

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
owenkosnen
8 - Asteroid

@grazitti_sapna  Wow - this is very close to what I'd like to achieve.

The key lies in the formula tool where we first setup the dynamic sheetname with formula with the aim to split records into different tabs, and then use the Output Tool to change the filepath based on the Filename generated with Formula.

One question though, I tried your method and it works great for the most part, but it returns error when there is actually no data in the [Country] or any field that will be assigned to be sheetname. Is there a way to ignore the error and let the empty excel be created when there is no data?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @owenkosnen 

You can use If statement to rename it like giving the word blank that time it will not create error.

For a successful output there should not be Nulls in filename or sheetname. You need to handle them before generating filename. You can replace to it to blank/sheet1(for sheet) or take value from another column.

Hope this helps 🙂

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @owenkosnen 

Here is an example

atcodedog05_0-1603879646329.png

Formulas

atcodedog05_1-1603879671757.png

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @owenkosnen  sorry for the delay you can try this.

grazitti_sapna_0-1603945362950.png

where the value for country is null we can use if else statement to handle these kind of errors.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @owenkosnen,

Alternatively, you can just filter this position out before the end of the workflow but probably you should keep them in different file for reference.

Good luck!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @owenkosnen 

My first solution was tailored for your specific requirement. Can i get your feedback on did it fail anywhere or why did not choose to go ahead with it. Would it because of the example taken or the the workflow didn't work as expected. 

Your feedback will help me to improve my approach of solution, example taken or anything that will improve the overall experience. 

Would really appreciate your feedback.

Happy to help 🙂

Cheers and Happy Analyzing 😀

Labels