Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output PDF reports with a password

Hakimipous
10 - Fireball

Hello !

I was wondering if it's possible to output PDF reports files with a password on it.

I've read that only Calgary Database could be encrypted, but not sure if it's still of actuality.

If it's not possible via Alteryx, then what would be the best way to output data and keep it protected? Else then zip if that exist  

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@Hakimipous,

Alteryx does not have any native support to add a password to a PDF it creates. However, you may still be able to do with the Run Command.

Coherent PDF Command Line Tools looks like it has an option to encrypt a PDF document so, in theory, after PDF is created, use the Run Command tool to create a .BAT file that contains a CMD script that'll perform the encryption.

Again, this is theoretical and it's not something I've attempted before. This post reviews parsing a PDF to txt using a command tool so you could probably follow the directions here to get you started.

Hope this helps!

Jimmy

Hakimipous
10 - Fireball

Thanks @jrgo 

This should give me something where to start an experiment. I should start working on this next week as my clients want me to output PDF report with a password. 

I'll post here any updates if I ever find a solution 

Hakimipous
10 - Fireball

I finally made it work with cpdf. 

Apparantly there is no need to parse your PDF.

You simply generate a PDF report via Alteryx, then, in a second worfklow you use cpdf via the Command tool, and you end up with a encrypted PDF of your choice x)

More info post can be found here on my second post : 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Need-help-with-the-Command-tool/m-p/10856...

Cheers and thanks again @jrgo !

Labels