Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output - Overwrite 1 Excel Sheet and Save as New File

KyleF
7 - Meteor

I have a process that I want to output to a specific sheet in an Excel template with two sheets (first sheet a load page for another software, second sheet the data output from Alteryx). My current method is to have the user copy the template and save it to the location they desire and then run the Alteryx process and use "File Browse" to select the location of the file and sheet to use for output. This works just fine as a local app, but I am trying to transition it to the server so that it can be run by any user going forward. From other reading I have done, it looks like on the server a user is not allowed to specify a file path for security reasons. One solution that I have seen is to have the output appear as a "temp" file that opens in Excel and then saves anywhere. That could work, but then my end user would have to copy and paste into the template file. Is there any reasonable solution to this issue? Is there a way to input the first "load sheet" and then have the process save a new file with both the "load sheet" and the "output data"? I have attached a copy of my desired output for reference. My current process already creates the table on the "Alteryx Data" sheet.

2 REPLIES 2
alexvornsand
7 - Meteor

Hi @KyleF, you could use a Run Command tool to copy the template and then overwrite the second tab using an output tool. This discussion walks through copying a file with the run command tool: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/How-do-I-use-run-command-to-copy-a-fil....

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@KyleF 
As @alexvornsand suggested, we need the Run Command tool to do the file operations. 
Below is an example and please modify it for your purpose.

0208-KyleF.PNG0208-KyleF-B.png

Labels