Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output Audit Trail for Workflow?

tbezold
7 - Meteor

Our Internal Audit team is asking me for an audit trail or any kind of execution steps taken by Alteryx to generate the Excel file I recently provided to them.

Is there a stage that I can add to the end of the workflow that will generate a 2nd sheet on the Excel file that shows this in a user-friendly format?

If a stage like this does not exist, are there any other alternatives that can show this documentation?

I've thought about maybe just taking a screenshot of the workflow, but this wouldn't necessarily show all of the steps taken in order to arrive at the finished product.

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Perhaps not what you're after, but you can output the message logs by entering a folder location here (see screenshot) in the User Settings,

PhilipMannering_1-1606253249761.png

Thought I'd add this just in case it's of interest.

Per
11 - Bolide

Hi @tbezold 

There is an unofficial tool that can generate a pdf containing a description of a workflow (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Auto-Documentation/ba-p/545827). However, if you specifically need to embed it in an Excel file, you might have to modify it for that specific purpose. Hope it helps!

tbezold
7 - Meteor

This looks like it will do exactly what I need!  However I can't get it to successfully run, even after I changed the timeout integer in my execute.py file to -1 (located in C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\envs\JupyterTool_vEnv\Lib\site-packages\nbconvert\preprocessors).

This is the error I am receiving:

JupyterCode (8): Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\tbezold\AppData\Local\Temp\Engine_12752_2dd932a40e754a98834d464c26351bc3_\209df4f9-41cd-4c1c-bebb-73ed3ad4d07f\workbook.py", line 20, in <module>
import xmltodict
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'xmltodict'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\tbezold\AppData\Local\Temp\Engine_12752_2dd932a40e754a98834d464c26351bc3_\209df4f9-41cd-4c1c-bebb-73ed3ad4d07f\workbook.py", line 24, in <module>
Package.installPackages(['xmltodict','pillow'])
File "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\envs\JupyterTool_vEnv\lib\site-packages\ayx\Package.py", line 202, in installPackages
raise pip_install_result["err"]
File "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\envs\JupyterTool_vEnv\lib\site-packages\ayx\Utils.py", line 120, in runSubprocess
result = subprocess.check_output(args_list, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
File "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\envs\JupyterTool_vEnv\lib\subprocess.py", line 411, in check_output
return run(*popenargs, stdout=PIPE, timeout=timeout, check=True,
File "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\envs\JupyterTool_vEnv\lib\subprocess.py", line 512, in run
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args,
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['C:\\Program Files\\Alteryx\\bin\\Miniconda3\\envs\\JupyterTool_vEnv\\python.exe', '-I', '-m', 'pip', 'install', 'xmltodict', 'pillow']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

Per
11 - Bolide

Hi @tbezold 

If you scroll down a bit in the post of the tool, another user seems to have the same issue which is related to running as non-admin. Try and have a look if that solvens it?

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @tbezold, in addition to the suggestions from fellow users (and assuming its the workflow log you are looking for), you could also have Alteryx email you the workflow log once it executes a workflow. The Events tab within the base workflow Configuration window has a Run Even When feature that allows you to enable this feature. 

Steps 1, 2 (select Send Email when you click the drop-down), 3 in the image below are the logical steps to set up an event.

AbhilashR_0-1606840805000.png

Words between % % are really what drive this feature and feel free to play around with it.

I hope this helps.

tbezold
7 - Meteor

I was able to find my solution within the latter details of the README.md file (shown below).  I wasn't initially aware that the packages file Installer_2020_09_28_Container_NONADMIN needed to be ran first.

Notes for September 28, 2020 Version

Container NONADMIN versions may not be used without elevating to admin privileges to install. In addition, an Installer for the required packages is now included. When running the installer, you will be prompted for the folder containing the package files- you must select the packages folder zipped together with the installer.
The installer will work for nonadmin installs only for the September 28, 2020 and later versions.

JTMorris
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @tbezold,

I would recommend checking out the Workflow Admin Manager (WAM). It allows users to simplify Alteryx administration by providing comprehensive Alteryx audit reporting, the ability to mass change anything related to your workflows, and the ability to track and lock your workflows. The audit reports provide a detailed breakdown of the workflow with information such as what tools were used and how they were configured, which can be shared with anyone. More info can be accessed at the link below.

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Workflow-Admin-Manager-for-Alteryx-by-Capitalize-Analytics/5fb3ff2...

esoden
8 - Asteroid

The latest version of Workflow Admin Manager was demoed on this webinar. It now has support for local/shared drives, Alteryx Server, and Alteryx Hub. https://capitalizeconsulting.com/webinar/administering-and-managing-alteryx-workflows-with-wam-workf...

There is a trial program if you want to see how it works with your workflows. You can also submit a workflow and get an audit document back here: https://capitalizeconsulting.com/workflow-admin-manager-wam-audit-report-tool/

tbezold
7 - Meteor

Is the Workflow Admin Manager tool available as a download from the Alteryx Gallery?  I only see an option for "Run".  Is this a tool that must be paid for, or is it included with the Designer license?

Labels