Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Outlook 365 Input - Separate Body lines

AdamGSmith
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all, I've just discovered the new Outlook 365 Input tool released in 2021.4 and installed and started using it. 

I've found that the body preview and body fields both return the text joined up where there are separate lines in the real email.  Here is an example of how it looks in Outlook with the text separated by lines:

AdamGSmith_0-1648743252795.png

AdamGSmith_0-1648745722736.png

Here is how the body preview and body fields return the data (copied into notepad):

This text shows that the tool currently doesn’t separate text from multiple lines in an emailWhen a new line is started the body does not separate themDoes anyone have any ideas on how to separate the lines?

Does anyone know a way to separate these?  Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

In Alteryx, they are all together? If so, you'd have to have a pattern to separate them. I don't see one here based on what you posted.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @AdamGSmith 

Try pasting the text into a text editor where you can show special characters, like notepad++.  Maybe the line breaks are not the standard CR\LF.  If they aren't and you can figure out what they are, you can split to rows on these characters.

Dan

AdamGSmith
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, direct copy paste into Notepad ++ gave the same result with no characters.

AdamGSmith_0-1648746308716.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @AdamGSmith 

Do you have Show All characters enabled in Notepad++ 

danilang_0-1648746390395.png

If so, then maybe there is a configuration option in the Outlook tool.  I've never actually used it myself.  

Dan

AdamGSmith
6 - Meteoroid

yes thanks, I do have all characters selected so unfortunately it looks like a limitation of the tool.

alex
11 - Bolide

Same issue, N++ shows CRLF when I copy and paste email from Outlook, but the tool won't parse the web form.  Will have to stick to downloading into Access then pulling into Designer.  Funny that tool recognizes spaces within the row that came from a tab, but not \t in the body or at the end before the CRLF.  Not much good for me if I can't get to data in the body of the email.

kkatushkin77
5 - Atom

I have had experienced the same limitation with the Outlook 365 tool, which removes new line breaks from the message body. Notepad++ confirms that there no hidden characters. Given this is the current limitation of the tool, I have added the relevant suggestion to the Alteryx idea board, i.e. for the tool to retain new line separators when importing message body. I think it is an important feature enhancement, so please "like" the idea to promote it Outlook 365 - New Line Separator - Alteryx Community 

Labels